Woo hoo! The new site is soooo close! Yesterday I built a pretty decent feed-reader for users’ home pages, and a page to manage feeds. Still choking a bit on CDATA tags in feeds (I’m looking at YOU, Eric D. Snider), but otherwise it’s coming right along.
Some stuff that I still would like to add before launch:
- Security checks for form submissions. Yikes!
- Saved searches
- Recent new results for your saved searches on your home page
- WYSIWYG editor for various form submissions
- All the ad code, and a decent ad-rotater
Other stuff that I need to add eventually:
- Classified ads
- Favorites list for books & movies, with links to Amazon with Singlesaints referral code
- Wish list links — we’ll see if I can get a referral code in there, too
- Profile page & home page templates — so users can customize their profile and home page
- Group mailer — ability to email all your friends at once
- Export mail as a .csv; perhaps even filtered to a single user
- Group creation, a la Yahoo Groups
- Oooooh — I could register firstname.lastname@example.org and let the site subscribe to Yahoo Groups from a Singlesaints Group. Wonder what that would take.
- Moderator nomination, election
- Support desk
But we’re close! Yay! I think the new site will be extremely nifty. And my off-the-cuff estimate is that traffic triples.
If it DOESN’T… hoo boy. That would be most unfortunate. Would have to reevaluate everything at that point.